Monday, January 31, 2011

My hypocrisy

Several weeks ago we had a pretty passionate debate with some friends of ours about appropriate responses to injustice in the world. In this case it involved the mega loads destined for the tar sands of Canada that will soon take place on a scenic byway connecting Idaho with Montana. But really...this conversation could have been about anything. I know that throughout history there have been injustices and tragedies that the typical person had no control over. Living in the information age tends to amplify these feelings of impotency...and leads to general frustration and angst. Within my own state's borders there seems to be serious corruption at top levels of Idaho state government. How else to explain the fact that the mega loads permits were essentially approved with no public input? That politicians admit stealing timber from land dedicated to funding schools and then refusing to pay the amount back? Or that some politicians feel that they don't have to pay taxes? Just the rest of us that pay their salary? That gubernatorial candidates feels free to poach at will? What an odd state. But realistically...what an odd country...what an odd world.

So what is the appropriate response? Ultimately the mega loads are a symptom of a much larger problem in our country. In many ways we are a democracy in name only...because I don't have the money huge corporations like Conoco Phillips have...or Exxon Mobile. My voice isn't as loud. Recent Supreme Court decisions on a national level make this even more of an issue. I feel as if the average citizen is like the tiny community in Horton Hears a Who. How can we be heard if there are no Hortons?

We didn't go protest the mega loads. Not because I don't think it is worthwhile...but because I wasn't sure driving my SUV down was the point I wanted to make. The fact is that our country is built on oil...Idaho receives 9% of its oil from those dastardly tar sands in Canada. What does that make me? How do I inform future development in such a way that I won't need to rely on my vehicle so heavily? Would it be better for me to park my vehicle as a form of protest? What about 0 degree weather and five young children? These questions are never easy and it is something I struggle to work out in my own life.

No comments: